Fire officers and police are on the scene of an explosion that rocked Kleen Rite Dry Cleaners earlier this afternoon on Mucurapo Road at around 1:30pm. The building was completely engulfed in flames with the fire spreading to the neighbouring; Sherwin Williams paint shop.
Reports are that the incident took place when an employee of Blu Gas, a subsidiary of National Petroleum Marketing Company Limited, was attempting to refill gas lines at the establishment. Fire officers indicated that the employee that was handling the transfer was the same that was on hand for the explosion that took place at El Pecos in Maraval, February last year. The officers, however, noted that the equipment was faulty and that the employee was not to blame.
The Firefighters were able to contain the blaze, however, there were issues with the unavailability of a proper water supply for fire fighting operations to take place. The available supply was supplemented by truck born water from the Wai Transport Incorporated Ltd.
Meanwhile, thirteen employees at Kleen Rite were on duty at the time of the incident, however, only twelve have been recovered from the scene thus far. Fire officers and emergency personnel are continuing the search for the missing employee
Police officers are taking precaution as Kleen Rite is located next to a National Petroleum gas station. Incoming traffic from Carenage is being re routed as police and fire officers continue their operations on the scene.