Completely false. That’s how Communications Minister Vasant Bharath describes claims by Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley that the People’s Partnership was either sending people to kill him or paying others to lie on him.
On Sunday Dr Rowley made the claims at the party’s campaign launch in Scarborough, Tobago. The National Security Ministry has confirmed information that a paid hit had been put out on Dr Rowley. On Saturday, the PNM held a media briefing to confirm media reports of the hit but also to dispel accusations by former Express reporter, Anika Gumbs, of inappropriate behaviour toward her by the Opposition Leader.
However, Communication Minister Vasant Bharath said in a release that Dr Rowley was being irresponsible.
“Any situation where a politician or citizen faces a threat to his or her life is taken seriously by the Kamla Persad-Bissessar administration. Wherever such threats exist, the Government acts immediately, judiciously and with the care for life of people as our priority,” Bharath said.
Bharath chastised Rowley saying his comments were “deliberately contrived to create panic,” adding that any such allegation should not be shouted from a platform, but instead reported to the police.
“He (Rowley) already has Special Branch protection and if indeed there's a threat, the State national security apparatus will respond as he’s a high office holder,” Bharath said.