Firecrackers are flooding Trindad and Tobago and their use is illegal.
Inspector Roger Alexander, in an interview with the media today, said that the items are entering the country the same way that illegal drugs and arms are. During Divali celebrations this year, many residents in various parts of the country complained about the use of the firework.
The issue was raised at the Post Cabinet media briefing on Thursday and Communications Minister Maxie Cuffie said it is a matter that needs addressing.
Both Inspector Alexander and President of the Fire Services Association Leo Ramkisson, said that policing the use of it is difficult. Alexander called on members of the public to report anyone they know who are in possession of the firecrackers or are using it.
"We can't go on like this you know," he said.
The San Fernando General Hospital reported a number of cases of patients over the last week, treated for injuries sustained from the use of the devices. One man, 56 year old Arjoon Maharaj from Couva lost his thumb, index and middle finger.